Johan Cruyff Stadium Kinetic double skin facade
Johan Cruyff Kinetic double skin facade
Denvelops creates the new cladding facade for the new Football Club Barcelona Stadium Johan Cruyff
Last 27th august the new Johan Cruyff Stadium was inaugurated with a great party and a football much were, besides, all the assistants were able to see for first time a Denvelops kinetics double skin façade. Of course, before to explain a little bit more about the project, first we would like to congratulate all Football Barcelona Institution, and to all project teams and collaborators for that beautiful goal.
Technically the design, production and installing phases of the project were (as results shows) perfect, because we could achieve all projects demands from the different actors; architects, engineering, installer and customer.
We should say we were lucky, because we could absorb all them architectural inputs, and that is sometimes difficult when imagination needs to become a project reality. But was not this case, the creative façade requests, were able to be “denveloped” with the open and standardized Denvelops construction system. Among them stand out the next objectives:
- Project axis modulation; all the projects components needed to be modulated from a specific axis project dimension, defined with precision of centimeters, before to decide they were going to work with Denvelops.
- Disposition and Percentage of façade tiles; in order to have the specific % of sun radiation and illumination it was defined to have a specific percentage of tiles in the façade, besides, the façade pattern design was defined by one rule; the distance between tiles had to be exactly the same, in were each tile need to be the sides of an isosceles triangle.
- The façade had a 10º of slope, and in spite being a kinetic façade (were tiles stands totally vertical), they also asked to install the tiles with the same façade slope.
- Some of the tiles need to be paint in order to write the name of the stadium in the façade. The tiles also need to have a specific diameter dimension.
- Give back the all façade project in BIM format.
The first engineering control is when Denvelops is introduced to a project due to architects, the aesthetics of the system must like them, and of course, the technical system too. Once the project is going on, there is another step, when engineering, for structural and installing control façade, does them validation works.
When is the first time to work with something new, as Denvelops were for them, can be even more difficult make a validation that other more used and known systems. Successfully any barriers were found about how the system has been designed for doing its calculation and installing processes. It is a clear system for both aspects:
- Due it is simple system done by vertical plats with horizontal connectors that make work the plats together, the calculation process is very similar to a normal railing steel balcony, in were the only difference is the height and the attachments points of the railing, is done slab to slab, so that there are two attaching points. Definitely, a better situation from normal railings were most of them are just attached from its bottom. Once the Technical Denvelops Office calculations were accepted, three façade tests were asked to be done, in order to control the integrity of the system components assembly: one impact test with a 50 Kg big ball, and other two test to check pollution damages, in CO2 and salt atmosphere ambient.
- It was an easy work to validate the installation process since it is a easy system to install, besides is it very similar to other construction façade systems, based in steel mesh textiles. The large Denvelops pieces are easy hanged by crane to the upper load line anchoring, once the pieces are connected to the anchor with just two screws, the rest of the process consist on install rivets in front every slab, were the wind line anchor -in first- was installed. Easy and fast.
In spite the installer was a little bit afraid about given a closed budget to install a new system façade, have a clear and simple system in were all the components and operations to do can be exactly defined, helped them to do a good offer, and the best, with almost no ricks from the Denvelops side.
The project was composed by more than 100 pieces to be installed, a job that was finished in just one month. They could have done it faster, but it was diced not. In just one morning, less than 3 hours, 15 pieces were hanged, that became totally installed (rivets wind installing) at the end of the journeys. The total amount square meters by one day was about 85 m2 which is a good mark.
Normally customers’ needs the next items: a good offer, a better production time and a faster installing process. This aspect becomes critically in big projects, like this football stadium case, that need to be inaugurated in a specific date. Besides the façades are the last thing to be installed in a project, when extra installing days or budget surprises are not an option, and of course there is no margin to do mistakes.
Denvelops was asked to produce the façade and install the façade in just 3 months. As much as we know, Denvelops also were the most economic option, but not because it offers worst materials, it was because it is a simple system were all components are heavy optimized, and off site produced, with no wastes.
The Denvelops company work model, inspired in the Lean Construction philosophy, results successfully for this project, and all Denvelops team got proud for the good feedback and congratulations for the job done.
This project has been a clear example of what Denvelops is. A competitive and optimized system that can be heavy -but easy- customized to do projects that need to explain corporation values, and of course with fast response, to produce and installing.
Architect, CEO & Sales Manager
Phone 0034 619 592 514
Luxemburg st 9 / 08700 Igualada /Spain